Knowledge Quarter Community Champions Launch
Yesterday Knowledge Quarter Partners and Local Community Organisations/ Charities came together to launch Community Champions – a project developed by the Knowledge Quarter’s Community Engagement subgroup. Attendee’s listened to case studies of well established Community Champions as well as discussing more ways that our partner organisations can work with the community, based on what is needed most. The partnerships showcased included that between Kings Place Music Foundation and The Recovery College on Learning together for Wellbeing, the Wellcome working with Age UK and the homework club run by the Royal Veterinary College and the Bengali Workers Association.
As well as presented aspects of the event there was ongoing networking between the community groups/charities and Knowledge Quarter Partners, discussing ideas for future collaborations to ensure that the KQ’s activity is closely aligned with the needs and requirements of the local community. Yesterday’s launch encompassed the Community Champions project as a whole, however there will be upcoming workshops on each of the five key themes to allow continued collaboration in the following key areas:
- 12th July 2018: Environment (Skip Garden) – This event will cover the built environment, accommodation, internal and external play spaces, parks and nature.
- 27th September 2018: Youth (Regents High School) – This event will cover early years, primary education, secondary education, youth programmes and family.
- 22nd October 2018: Wellbeing (The British Museum) – This event will cover physical health, mental health, social isolation, broadening horizons and community safety
- December 2018: Employability – This event will cover work experience, apprenticeships, internships and local recruitment.
- February 2019: Nexus (Royal Veterinary College)- This event will cover markets, festivals, performances and event
Slides from the event can be found here and the delegate pack found here.