Knowledge Quarter London
|Job Title:||Events Manager|
|Location||London: British Library, St Pancras & remote working|
|Salary:||30,000 to 35,000 per annum (pro rata 4 days per week) + benefits, depending on experience.|
|Contract:||12 months with possible extension at end of contract|
|Closing date:||10.00am Monday 14th March 2022|
We are hiring!
The Knowledge Quarter (KQ) is a partnership of 100 academic, cultural, research, scientific and media organisations located in a one-mile radius around King’s Cross, Euston Road and Bloomsbury in London.
Collectively, the geographic area of the KQ contains possibly the greatest knowledge cluster anywhere in the world and is certainly the UK’s largest innovation district. The KQ’s partners range from internationally significant research institutes to emerging organisations across all sectors. Partners include the British Museum, Central St Martins University of the Arts London, Google, the Digital Catapult, Wellcome Trust and the British Library. The partners might be vastly different, but we all share one common purpose: the creation and dissemination of knowledge.
Within the KQ, choreographers are meeting surgeons, biochemists meeting poets, activists meeting archivists. The more disparate the worlds, the deeper the connections that are being formed.
The KQ Events Manager will oversee the content development and full delivery of the year-long portfolio of physical, virtual and hybrid events that are central to the advancement and reputation of the KQ.
● Oversee the content development and full delivery of KQ Events throughout the year, including Private Views/Tours, Network meetings, Special Interest Group Roundtables, Stakeholder Breakfasts, Public events and other types of events, ensuring event activities operate efficiently and effectively.
● Oversee the content development and full delivery of the KQ annual conference, post-conference reception and any post-conference legacy events.
● Work closely with the Chief Executive, Advocacy and Communications Manager, Operations and Content Co-ordinator and other staff as appropriate, including developing strategic partnerships and internal relationships
● Work closely with the KQ Projects Officer and Events intern to delegate appropriate tasks needed to support KQ Events.
● Manage communication, registration (via Eventbrite), social media promotion and website activity relating to KQ Events.
● Manage Zoom (or equivalent platforms) for virtual events and meetings, and upload recorded virtual events onto KQ’s YouTube channel.
● Handle and respond to any member (and other) problems and issues that may arise, this may include press liaison, operational and finance queries.
● Build networks and links with partner organisations in order to recruit partners for joint events, and maintaining such partnerships, as appropriate.
● Use KQ Events as an opportunity to market the KQ in general.
● Carry out evaluations and producing reports on the outcome of key projects.
● Develop and programme a schedule of monthly Private Views at KQ partner organisations.
● Develop and programme a series of regular Special Interest Group roundtables
● Develop and programme a series of regular Network meetings.
● Work with the Advocacy and Communications Manager in arranging and delivering Stakeholder Breakfasts.
● Work with KQ Partners and External stakeholders in programming public events.
● Develop overall event management at all above events.
● Research and develop appropriate content for the conference.
● Schedule conference working group meetings and provide the secretariat for meetings as required, including paper circulation and minute taking.
● Work with the Chief Executive and KQ partners to produce appropriate content for the conference and Reception.
● Ensure that timely and professional progress updates and briefs are sent to Chief Executive and other senior stakeholders.
● Carry out overall event management before delivery and during the day of the in-person/virtual/hybrid Conference and Reception (including programming, production, commissioning, partner liaison, communications and marketing).
● Commission and with freelancers in delivering all aspects of the conference (including design, photography, videography, tech, copywriting and PR)
● Develop a legacy plan for the conference, including uploading conference videos and photos online and programming post-conference activities.
● Carry out evaluation and produce a report on the outcomes of the conference.
● Manage purchase orders, quotes and financial reconciliation for the conference and other events.
Communication and Website:
● Maintaining the KQ conference website and updating it as necessary to ensure content is appropriate and up to date, this includes liaising with our web developers and graphic designers.
● Creating content for events listed on the main KQ website and in the newsletter.
● Promoting the KQ conference and other events online and on social networking sites in an appropriate manner.
● Promoting the KQ conference and other events through various external press, newsletters, websites, listings and advertisements.
● Acting as the main point of contact for the KQ conference PR agency and reporting activity to the Chief Executive.
● Managing Campaign Monitor for promotion and invitations to events.
● Developing, updating and managing the Eventbrite booking system for conference bookings.
● Work with the KQ Projects Officer and Events intern to develop and agree a work plan to support KQ Events, ensuring all general administrative tasks are completed.
● Be flexible in attending events out of office hours.
● Work closely with the Chief Executive to ensure the success of the KQ aims within time, budget, resource and quality control constraints and according to performance indicators.
● Maintain and developing contacts at all levels, including those at a senior level.
● Handle issues and queries from KQ colleagues, members, press and other interested parties via both telephone and email, and directing them as appropriate, using initiative and judgement to implement answers or to provide a recommendation.
● Participate in regular performance management reviews as necessary.
● Be willing to take on a range of tasks and to develop new skills, as appropriate, in own or other departments/directorates to support the delivery of the KQ as required by line management.
● Ensure that the information flow between team members is unobstructed and transparent to support efficient working.
● Work towards the long-term goal of the KQ conference being financially profitable.
● Proven excellent organisational and planning skills and the ability to work effectively to budgets and deadlines.
● Good knowledge and experience of delivering virtual and hybrid events on Zoom, StreamYard, Hopin and/or equivalent virtual events platforms.
● Good negotiating skills and the ability to be calm and controlled in stressful situations.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Good IT skills including MS Office applications.
● Proficient and effective administration skills.
● Necessary confidence and judgement to be able to recommend courses of action, or suggest ideas to resolve problems.
● Ability to think laterally in event programming.
● Ability to speak in public and to communicate effectively with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
● Ability to work effectively alone, prioritise multiple tasks and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
● Willingness to work flexibly to meet project demands, including attending and delivering events outside of normal working hours.
● Willingness to take on a range of tasks and to develop new skills, as appropriate, to support the delivery of the KQ objectives.
● Diplomatic, tactful and confident personality.
● Proven experience of developing, organising and managing events, preferably in an in a similar, multi-stakeholder driven organisation.
● Experience in financial and budgetary management.
● Practical knowledge of Campaign Monitor or similar.
● Web management and WordPress experience.
● Awareness, understanding and appreciation of the local area.
● Awareness of the knowledge sector
How to apply:
Closing Date for Applications: 10.00am Monday 14th March 2022
Interviews will take place the week beginning 21st March 2022
To apply please send:
- A covering letter detailing your reasons for applying, together with your experience and abilities in relation to this role
- An up to date C.V
- An example of a piece of written work from your previous employment which should be no longer than one A4 page this should be related to an event you have organised or managed. Speaker briefings, press releases or production briefs would all be acceptable.
To Jodie Eastwood at email@example.com.
Please also indicate in your covering letter that if invited for interview, are there any special arrangements that you would like us to make for the interview?
Please note if you do not return all the requested documents your application will not be considered for the role.