Date: Sunday 19 of June, 12:00 – 18:00
Where: Caledonian Road, N1
NORTH LONDON’S MOST DYNAMIC STREET PARTY, THE CALLY FESTIVAL, RETURNS FOR A FIFTH YEAR
On Sunday 19th June 2016, a predicted 8,000 people of all ages will gather on Caledonian Road for the fifth annual Cally Festival. Once again Caledonian Road we’ll be close for the London’s most dynamic, diverse and inclusive street party.
The Cally Festival is a pop-up celebration of the diverse trade, community and culture on Caledonian Road. The Festival was first held in 2011 and last year attracted over 7,000 local residents. It provides opportunities for local residents, arts organisations and businesses to come together and celebrate as a community.
Behind the visible frontage of the festival sits a deeper programme of high quality community art and heritage activities delivered by key cultural partners throughout the year. The programme of arts activities culminates in the annual event.
Knowledge Quarter partners are invited to take advantage of this opportunity and suggest interactive activities in an area that will be named ‘The Brain Station’.
The idea is to let each individual organisation best shows their main focuses and allows local residents to see exactly what is on their doorstep and how they can access it.
This year’s highlights include:
• The Main Stage – presenting the finest music and performance the Cally has to offer. Expect to be wowed by local talent including a very special guest in a white jumpsuit…
• Story Street – poet Paul Lyalls presents an off-the-wall afternoon of poetry and stories on Story Street including A.F. Harrold, Key Changes, and Thornhill primary school.
• The Brain Station- an area for Knowledge Quarter partners to present interactive activities reflecting their specialties .
• Space Jam – local adventure playground Crumble’s Castle will be leading ‘space age’ themed activities for little kids and big kids. Space suits optional.
• The Arty Block Party – Local artists, museums and galleries have come together to create a ‘block party’ like no other. A whole street dedicated to arts workshops – come and get your craft on.
• Action Arena – burn off some energy with sports and activities including a boxing ring presented by Times ABC boxing club, penalty shootout with Arsenal FC and the Cally Dojo with martial arts demonstrations and workshops.
• Acoustic Stage/World music stage – an intimate street stage with musical talent all day long. Discover the next big thing here.
• Saddlers Wells BIG DANCE BUS – the big dance bus will be parked up giving the audience a chance to take part in some fantastic dance workshops and watch some spectacular performances form Saddlers Wells.
• Youth Stage – The young people from the Copenhagen Youth Project and Uperform are back with another line-up of music, dance, rap, poetry and DJing.
• Street Market – A street market of delicious food and tempting goodies to admire and buy.
And look out for
– Weird and wonderful street theatre
– Local history tours led by community members
– Costumed drumming parade led by local children and the Barbican Drum
Nearest stations: CALEDONIAN ROAD, CALEDONIAN ROAD & BARNSBURY, KINGS CROSS