Knowledge Quarter’s partner, the Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, presents the conference “Media in Muslim Contexts: Inventing and Re-inventing Identities”.
Date: November 3-4, 2016
Location: Aga Khan University (International) in the UK, London
Deadline for submission of abstracts: July 31, 2016
The Aga Khan University’s Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (ISMC) and Graduate School of Media and Communications (GSMC) seek to bring together academics and media professionals to discuss the central role of mass media in the contemporary Muslim World. Issues to be addressed include changes in media technology, identity formation, heritage destruction, resistance movements and censorship. We welcome paper submissions on a broad range of topics under these themes.
- Media and the invention of history: the invention and reinvention of national pasts; the creation of romantic visions of history through media, especially through film and television.
- Media as vehicles of resistance: media and popular resistance; construction of communities through social media.
- Iconoclasm and the Image Wars: questions of iconoclasm, heritage destruction and preservation; their coverage in international media, as well as the material rewriting of history.
- The Power of Satire: Humour and satire as instruments of dissent and dialogue; censorship and violent reaction; satire directed at Islam and Muslims and satire by Muslims directed at regimes, religious movements and other targets.
Submission of proposals
Papers are invited within the conference themes and accepted papers will be grouped into panels, with each speaker having 20 minutes to present their paper. Interested individuals should submit proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2016.
Proposals should include the following information:
- Name, institutional affiliation, and email address
- Paper title
- Abstract (of no more than 250 words)
Some conference participants may join via webinar and proceedings will be recorded and made available on the Institute’s website. For all inquiries, please contact email@example.com