Bennetts Associates the first architects in the world to have sustainability goals approved
Bennetts Associates has become the first architects in the world to have Science Based Targets approved by the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi). The practice is also the first to commit to the UN’s Climate Neutral Now campaign.
The submission of sustainability targets and their approval by the SBTi is testament to the practice’s progressive and proactive agenda in responding to stark warnings about the perils of a world 1.5 degrees warmer than pre-industrial levels, as laid out last year by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
The commitment builds on Bennetts’ reputation as pioneers of sustainability within the built environment, having previously signed up to the Climate Neutral Now campaign in 2017. The practice has helped to bring sustainable design and planning into the mainstream. Projects such as 5 Pancras Square for the London Borough of Camden, with a BREEAM Rating of 97.6% – the highest ever achieved at the time of its completion – is an exemplar of sustainable design.
20 Targets for 2022
Bennetts Associates has committed to twenty sustainability targets for 2022 including ambitious science-based commitments to:
- reduce energy-related Greenhouse Gas emissions by at least 21% by 2022 from a 2016 baseline year
- procure all energy from 100% renewable sources
- reduce travel emissions by 7.5% by 2022 from a 2016 baseline
- identify ambitious sustainability agendas relevant to each of their projects
- continue to measure and improve conditions that relate to physical and mental wellbeing for staff across its three offices in London, Manchester and Edinburgh
For more on these these targets go to Bennetts Associates website.